Tiramisu is a famous Italian dessert. It consists of ladyfingers or savoiardi biscuits dipped in coffee and layered with creamy mascrapone cheese. They have been on my list for quite a longtime and last week I finally made these. I made these in individual bowls instead of a single dish, as it would be easier to serve. This recipe does not use any eggs for the filling. The filling is made using a mixture of mascrapone, cream cheese, sugar and coffee.
3/4 cup of Expresso
3 tbsp Kahlua (coffee flavoured liquer)
1 block of cream cheese (8 ounce)
1 1/2 cups of mascrapone cheese (6 ounce)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
20-24 Italian ladyfingers (Savoiardi biscuits)
2 tsp of Cocoa powder or chocalate shavings for garnishing
- In a small shallow dish , mix expresso and Kahlua coffee liqueur.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and mascrapone cheese, beat at medium speed untill smooth. Add sugar and 3 tbsp of expresso-coffee liquer mix and beat at medium speed untill well blended. (Note: I used fat-free cream cheese)
- Dip each ladyfingers in the expresso kahlua mixture , only for aboout 5 seconds. If they are placed in the mixture for a long time they will fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of the dessert cups or glasses, breaking them if needed in order to fit to the bottom.
- Spread about 3 tbsp of cheese mixture over the ladyfingers. Place another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top it with some cheese mixture. Fill the remaining cups in the same way. (Note: Instead of making individual tiramisu's you can arrange the ladyfinger and cheese mixture in a 8-inch square baking tray .)
- Cover the cups with plastic wraps and refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours. I refrigerated it overnight.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top before serving. This recipe yields about 8 servings.