Thursday, April 3, 2008

Tiramisu

Tiramisu is a famous Italian dessert. It consists of ladyfingers or savoiardi biscuits dipped in coffee and layered with creamy mascrapone cheese. They have been on my list for quite a longtime and last week I finally made these. I made these in individual bowls instead of a single dish, as it would be easier to serve. This recipe does not use any eggs for the filling. The filling is made using a mixture of mascrapone, cream cheese, sugar and coffee.




Ingredients:

3/4 cup of Expresso
3 tbsp Kahlua (coffee flavoured liquer)
1 block of cream cheese (8 ounce)
1 1/2 cups of mascrapone cheese (6 ounce)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
20-24 Italian ladyfingers (Savoiardi biscuits)
2 tsp of Cocoa powder or chocalate shavings for garnishing



Method:

  • In a small shallow dish , mix expresso and Kahlua coffee liqueur.
  • In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and mascrapone cheese, beat at medium speed untill smooth. Add sugar and 3 tbsp of expresso-coffee liquer mix and beat at medium speed untill well blended. (Note: I used fat-free cream cheese)
  • Dip each ladyfingers in the expresso kahlua mixture , only for aboout 5 seconds. If they are placed in the mixture for a long time they will fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of the dessert cups or glasses, breaking them if needed in order to fit to the bottom.
  • Spread about 3 tbsp of cheese mixture over the ladyfingers. Place another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top it with some cheese mixture. Fill the remaining cups in the same way. (Note: Instead of making individual tiramisu's you can arrange the ladyfinger and cheese mixture in a 8-inch square baking tray .)
  • Cover the cups with plastic wraps and refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours. I refrigerated it overnight.
  • Sprinkle cocoa powder on top before serving. This recipe yields about 8 servings.

29 comments:

Dhivya said...

never heard abt this dessert sandhiya:))looks so so yummm

sowmya said...

looks lovely sandhaya...you rock again..

easycrafts said...

New to me too...but looks mouthwatering

SMN said...

this is my fv dessert i hv never tried making it..

Purnima said...

Sandhya..you are too good with baked, piped n decorated goodies..now this Dessert sure is a winner..being eggless! Loved ur recipe, pics r visual treat (cant make it as many of the ingr. are not available here!)Bookmarking at all the same!

Namratha said...

This is my fav dessert Sandhya, had some last weekend :) Looks gr8!

Vaishali said...

Sandhya, Tiramisu used to be one of my favorite desserts before I turned vegan. Your version looks perfect.

Cham said...

It is my favorite dessert, may be for those who love coffee like me :) They are gorgeous little cups Sandya! You re rocking Gal :)

Kalai said...

I absolutely adore tiramisu!! Love the idea of individual servings. Nice one! :)

ranji said...

hi sandhya!!!

even though i havent eaten tiramasu i know i will love it....urs look really delicious!!!Its in my must eat list:)..

Swapna said...

Sandhya, Tiramisu is one of my fav...can't make it at home as some of the ingridents are not available here....gone through other posts and you have a good collection of recipes.....thks for sharing

Mansi Desai said...

This is my all-time favorite, but I just prefer relishing it at restaurants than making at home:) I've made it only once!! yours looks great Sandhya!:) it takes a lot of patience to make this at home!:)D

Saswati said...

wow Sandhya the tiramisu looks gr8 and one of my favourites.

Pavithra said...

Tiramasu - the yummiest desert ever... the taste of it drifts me to what might be called heaven.

Now that I have a recipe (Thanks to you sandhya) - I'll never come back to earth :-)

Thank you thank you thank you!

srikar's kitchen said...

Great click...fantastic entry dear...

ANJALI J. said...

Sandhya, you got a great blog and ur recipes are really delicious.
i will go through ur blog now. im adding u in my fav bloggers list in my blog :) btw how did u find my blog? my recipe is not yet listed :)

Rosie said...

Ooooh this is one of my fav desserts all that coffee liquor soaked fingers and mascarpone cheese & choccie - who couldn't just fall in love after one taste - mmmmmm... Beautiful photo's of this great dessert too! :)


Rosie x

Cynthia said...

I like that you made them in individual servings.

Sagari said...

wonderfulllll dessert sandya ,love it yummmmmmmmm

Dhanggit said...

your tiramisu looks heavenly!! yummy!! great photos too :-)

Priyanka said...

Sandhya it seems like you have a sweet tooth. Love your desserts =will come back at leisure to check out the rest of the recipes. Absolutely love this dessert. However i make it with rum substitute instead of Kahlua- gives you the same taste and saves you the money on the alcohol.

Seema said...

Thats soo good.......!

Meera said...

I love Tiramisu. & yours looks just perfect.

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

This looks perfect.... The only thing to worry abt tiramisu is that they have raw egg yolks in them....but ur version sound good to me... Love it...

Prajusha said...

I have heard a lot abt this dessert,but never had it. urs looks delicious

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

Absolutely stunning Sandhya...I love the idea of individual desserts. the tiramisu looks sumptious!!

ServesYouRight said...

Yum! Good work girl! Thats a lot of work :-)

Smita

Hetal said...

Visiting ur blog for the first time,u have wonderful recipes.I love tiramisu,thanx for the recipe..Would love to seee u on my blog

Jj said...

Looks marvleous! The recipe sounds so good, too, thanks!